Saturday, May 16, 2009

Top 10!

A while ago I did a Top Ten list for Romantic Comedies, but I've recently been watching some of my favorite musicals of all time. This list is hard because there are so many great ones that didn't make it like Oklahoma, Grease, Annie, and Meet me in St. Louis. Most will not agree with my list and that's fine...that's why it's MY list! This time I thought it would be fun to place the trailers on so you could get a little peek if you haven't seen them yet. I couldn't find the trailers for two of them, so I put on a clip instead. Enjoy!


#10 - The Unsinkable Molly Brown This is my favorite Debbie Reynolds movie. You can tell that she had a lot of fun with this role, and Harve Presnell has such a rich voice!



#9 - Mary Poppins This is 1 of 3 for Julie Andrews...not that you can really go wrong with her. I love Dick Van Dyke in this too, but I especially love the underlying message.



#8 - The Music Man I love this one because Robert Preston reminds me so much of my grandpa. Shirley Jones makes listening to a soprano voice actually enjoyable (this is coming from a soprano). It's so funny to see Ron Howard as a little boy!


#7 - Hello Dolly Some of you maybe more familiar with Hello Dolly thanks to WALL E, but I've always loved this one. Barbara Streisand + Micheal Crawford + Walter Matthau + Gene Kelley(director) = GENIUS!



#6 - Singin' in the Rain Absolute classic! No one can deny that the most memorable moment in musical movie history is the scene Gene Kelley, an umbrella, some tap shoes, and a lot of water. This was my favorite for a long time. It's still in the top ten, but I've found others that I like a little bit more!


#5 - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Howard Keel has got to have the best male voice in musical history. He played in Calamity Jane, Showboat, and Kiss me Kate...which were good, but he was the best in this. Everyone loves this one!



#4 - The Sound of Music And everybody loves this one too! Julie Andrews, great! Christopher Plummer, HOT!



#3 - Fiddler on the Roof This is in my top 3 because although it is a musical with amazing music, it feels more like an actual movie verses a play made into a movie. The acting isn't as cheesy as your typical musical. Don't get me wrong, I love the cheesy acting in musicals or I wouldn't watch them, but this feels like more of a period movie that happens to have music.



#2 - Thoroughly Modern Millie #3 of 3 for Julie Andrews. This is one of the funniest musicals I've ever seen. I say one of because my #1 is the funniest to me. Any one who hasn't seen this is really missing out.



#1 - 1776 This is my absolute favorite musical of all time. It is so funny and charming, but I have to say that not everyone will think so. It swears more than most musicals and has some crude humor, but I can't help it. I love my history, and this movie is the closest to what actually took place during the summer of 1776 more than any other movie...plus you get some great one liners from Ben Franklin.